Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Adult Q & A

Hey there everyone!

I decided it was about time to answer all of your questions in one, fun blog post! Over the past few years I have received emails and Facebook messages with some really great questions, and I figured, if one person is curious, others might be, too! Don't worry, I've left them anonymous.

Just a heads up- these are mostly adult-related questions, so wait for a later post to read the kids version of the Q&A :)

  1. Should I workout in the gym with my wig on? What do I need to do?
    This is definitely up to you! I never workout with my wig on but I have danced with it on for several performances (including the Miss America Pageant!). If you do opt to wear your wig during a workout (and don't use and adhesive) I suggest you plan ahead and put some baby powder on your scalp to absorb extra moisture. Also, maybe consider using tape if you are afraid the wig could fall off during the commotion.
  2. Has anyone ever accused you of trying to draw attention to yourself on the days you don't wear your wig?
    Never! But I have worried about that before, so I completely understand your thought. When one of my best friends got married she told me that I could come without my wig (since she loves my natural look!) but I was too afraid it would seem like I was trying to draw attention to myself. Most people don't over think things as much as we assume they do. Wear your wig whenever you see fit. If you don't feel like wearing it, your friends will applaud your confidence and strength for wanting to be without it that day.
  3. I've had my wig for three years now, and keep trimming the ends. How do I know when enough is enough and I need to buy a new wig?
    I had my first wig for two years and Mario Rispoli kept trimming the ends for me until finally the length that I loved was gone. We decided it was time to donate the wig to a local women's cancer center when the hair was chin-length and the cap was stretched out. At that point, I decided it was time for a  new wig. I suggest you purchase a new wig as soon as you can (no urgency) and transition into the new one. That way your current wig is still wearable and your don't have to move on so quickly to a new style.
  4. Is it wrong to not tell a guy about my hair loss when we first start dating?
    Of course not! No one expects you to share your complete medical rap sheet with them on the first date. But, for the sake of your future relationship, I suggest being as open and honest with him as you can. Maybe mention that you have (insert condition here) and see if he knows anything about it. This could be on your second, third, even fourth date. Then open the dialogue and see where it goes. Trust your instincts.
  5. How should I keep my wig on during sex?
    I say, treat sex the same way you would exercise! If you prefer to tape your wig while in the gym, maybe you should in the bedroom, too. If your wig is well fitted and does not need any tape on a daily basis, then it should be just fine. Just know, things happen, and it could slip off. Consider looking into either a well-fit wig with the resistance strips structured in the cap to keep it from slipping. Otherwise, tape is the best (worry-free) option.
  6. I bond my wig and it gets so uncomfortable and tacky in the heat- what should I do?
    You may be using too much adhesive. If you are using tape, this may be due to the quality of the product. A good trick is putting the tape a little further back so you can lift up the hairline and dry off any sweat. In the meantime, try a different product.
  7. I get red bumps on the bald spots on my head- is this normal?
    Yes! Some people's skin is a little more sensitive than others. Give your scalp some time to breathe (from products and wigs). If you have been using the same kind of soap for ages, then it's safe to say you aren't allergic to it. But still there is a reason for the irritation. Your scalp is skin, just like the rest of your body's surface so be sure to gently wash it and moisturize when necessary. Use sensitive skin products and be gentle with it. Don't treat the bumps like pimples! If the bumps worsen or spread, make an appointment with a dermatologist.
  8. I've had Alopecia Areata on my head for years, now I have no hair in my female area. Is this normal?
    Yes! Don't worry, the nature of AA is that it is unpredictable. This could include change in size of bald spots, change in location of bald spots and so on. Unless there are other symptoms that are worrying you in that region- I'd say you are just fine!
  9. I have AU and sometimes get red bumps on my skin in all sorts of places. How do I know if they are pimples or something else?
    Just like friend #7, you have a tricky (but worry-free) situation. It is hard to tell the difference between a minor irritation, a pimple, an ingrown hair and so on. Be careful what products you use on the area- but never try to "pop" the bumps on your head, as if they are pimples. You can get infections this way or cause worse irritations. Assume it is just a minor irritation and wait for it to take its course. If it spreads, is painful, grows or worsens in any way, make an appointment with a dermatologist.
  10. Everyone thinks I have cancer. People pay for my coffee all the time. Do I accept the gifts or tell them I don't have cancer? (From a woman with Alopecia Totalis)
    I get this question all the time, so you aren't alone! This is another case of, do what makes you most comfortable. I've had this happen to me plenty of times, and it never gets more comfortable to approach. I do believe honesty is the best way to handle it because it  gives you a chance to educate one more person- BUT, if you have two kids with you tugging at your pant legs and tearing down store shelves and you urgently need to vacate the premises, by ALL means... let them think what they want!


    I hope this answers the questions you sent in! Thank you (so much) for you candor and honesty! Feel free to send me a message with your questions and I will answer them all anonymously in another post! Be sure to follow my twitter updates @MissDelaware10 and join the Facebook group, Kayla's Corner for Women & Kids with Hair Loss for great conversation and support! Looking for more information on your hair loss questions? Visit hairloss.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment