Monday, February 27, 2012

Sick Days Suck.

So, for the past few days I've had what might be the beginning of the flu or some sort of virus. I had a day in between where I thought the symptoms had subsided, but alas, they are back. Whenever I have these days where I feel like death, the icing on the cake is looking exactly as I feel.

If you, too, have lost your hair, you are probably well-accustomed to the random stares of people who assume you have cancer. For those of you readers who have undergone chemotherapy treatments, I can't imagine how you deal with those stares all the time... But for those of you with Alopecia of any sort, I am sure you just wish you could wear a sign sometimes that says, "I'm not sick." (or something of that nature)

Well today I decided to go ahead and attend my classes as usual even though I was vomitting throughout the night. I woke up with limited strength, not even feeling up to showering. So of course, I threw on a clean pair of sweatpants, brushed my teeth, and headed out the door leaving behind any eyeliner or wigs...

Honestly, we all have those days where the last thing we feel like doing is worrying about anything other than getting two feet out the door. And even though I keep most of my wigs styled on a mannequin, I just didn't feel like taking the moment to throw it on. So, off I went without hair or makeup...

Now I know I don't deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for this since I do this all the time, along with thousands of other women... But, when you aren't feeling so well- people can tell. So while on campus a woman came up to me and asked what kind of cancer I have...

It's been a while since I've been asked that question... But my hair has started to fall out again so I shaved it this weekend. And my face was stripped of color and life was probably draining from my eyes because of how I felt. I'm sure each of those played a factor. Over the past thirteen years, I've been asked quite a few times whether or not I have cancer. But, since it had been a while, it got me thinking!

I don't want you to think the moral of the story is to go out and get even more dolled up when you are under the weather- I just wanted to share a story that I am sure most of you ladies can relate to! We are all human, and we all have yucky off days where we simply feel like curling up under the covers and hibernating for a few days. And if you are like me and makeup and wigs feels like too much for those days, then more power to you :)

On a personal note- my temperature has leveled out and I kept down some soup for lunch, so I think I am on the road to recovery! :)

So let me ask you- how do you respond to those awful sick days? Do you typically push through and put on the eyeliner and your wig or do you go out as is and let people think what they want?

Leave your thoughts on Kayla's Corner of Facebook! And don't forget to follow me on twitter @MissDelaware10 or the rest of the crew @hairlossdotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment