Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Women and Chemotherapy

“There are studies that show that for many women, losing their hair is worse than losing a breast. That's because you can conceal the loss of a breast, but hair loss is so obvious and apparent. ” -
Marisa Weiss M.D., Breastcancer.org president and founder, breast radiation oncologist, Philadelphia, PA

To mark the end of Cervical Cancer Awareness Month, I thought it would be the perfect time to feature a Q&A with a woman who has overcome her own battle with cancer. I know this blog often features stories or suggestions for those diagnosed with a form of Alopecia, so I wanted to create something for our friends who have lost their hair from another common cause- chemotherapy treatments.

Everyone knows that chemotherapy treatments are the most commonly known treatment for cancer, which aim to kill the cancerous cells that are rapidly spreading. Among the varied side effects of chemotherapy is hair loss, which some refer to as their "scarlet letter".

According to BreastCancer.Org,
Hair loss occurs because chemotherapy targets all rapidly dividing cells—healthy cells as well as cancer cells. Hair follicles, the structures in the skin filled with tiny blood vessels that make hair, are some of the fastest-growing cells in the body. If you're not in cancer treatment, your hair follicles divide every 23 to 72 hours.
But as the chemo does its work against cancer cells, it also destroys hair cells. Within a few weeks of starting chemo, you may lose some or all of your hair.
You may gradually notice the hair loss, or it can happen very quickly. Every person responds differently. Some people lose the hair on the top of their head only, while others may lose their eyelashes, eyebrows and other body hair as well. The bright side- your hair will grow back!

Although I have never personally undergone chemotherapy treatments, my grandmother did, as well as my best friend's mother. I decided that since I am no expert on the topic, I wanted to interview a woman who won her battle with cancer and was generous enough to open up with me about her journey.
Here is her story:

KM: If you don't mind, will you share how you were first diagnosed?
LK:  I was first diagnosed on July 5th, 2009. I was losing weight with other symptoms. I knew something was wrong; they told me I had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
KM: And what was your first reaction?
LK: When I was first diagnosed I was numb. The first thing I thought of was death. My grandmother had just died a few months before. I felt my world had stopped spinning. I couldn’t think, eat, breath or sleep. I was living a nightmare.
KM: When it comes to all that you have to deal with (treatments, doctor’s appointments, regular life, and so on) where does/did hair loss fall on the list of struggles/obstacles for you?
LK: I felt like it took away my beauty; like a piece of me had died. I didn’t want to face the public, my friends or my family.
KM: When you lost your hair, did you ever go around without a wig? If so, how did you feel when people would see you just as you were?
LK:  I would never go in public without a wig for a very long time. I thought people would think I was ugly and would stare at me.
KM: When you were first diagnosed, was losing your hair a fear that you had?
LK: Yes, it was one of my biggest fears. I tried to go as long as I could before I had to shave it.
KM: How did your hair fall out? Was it progressive, or all in one timeframe?
LK: The high doses of chemo made my hair thin and it just started falling out in clumps.
 KM: Now that your hair is growing back (Yay!!) has the texture or color changed?
LK: It came in alot darker and very thick.
KM: Did your hair loss impact your mental state while going through treatment?
LK: Yes, I was very depressed. I would even refuse to look into the mirror.
KM:  What helped you accept your diagnosis? What about your hair loss and any other symptoms?
LK: You. I saw your beautiful face and I thought, Wow. Finally I’m not alone. If she can do it and be a beauty queen, maybe I can too.
KM: If you could give advice to another woman overcoming cancer, what would it be?
LK: Your beauty is deep inside of you. Although you may think you are ugly, it gets better. Try on wigs and just have fun with it. You may find you are sexier than you ever realized.

I know that a diagnosis of cancer is terrifying- not to mention life-altering. The thought of having to lose a piece of your femininity, on top of it all, is not the cherry you would have picked to go on top. But, with the help of a great community (online, local, national), and a dose of positivity/faith you CAN get through this. Focus on your health- not your hair. Your hair can be the least of your worries. Keep checking back for helpful suggestions or referalls on how to cope with the loss of your hair and be proactive. Join the Facebook group Kayla Martell's Corner for Women and Kids with Hair Loss for more support, and (sometimes) fun discussion!
Have any tips for how you coped during chemotherapy or questions for others? Comment there, or Tweet me @MissDelaware10.

Special thanks to LK for being so open about her journey through chemotherapy treatments. YOU have helped others to know they aren't alone. It warms my heart to know that I have been able to help someone in any way, just like you have today. Many blessings for a continual recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment